Jerusalem, Feb 7 (EFE).- A 17-year-old Palestinian boy was shot dead during a raid launched by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, Palestinian officials said Tuesday, amid a flare-up of violence in the region.
The Palestinian health ministry said in a statement that Hamza al-Ashqar was “killed by a bullet in the face fired by the occupying soldiers.”
The Israeli army confirmed its incursion in Nablus, the stronghold of the newly-formed Lions’ Den armed group, and said that stones, explosive devices and Molotov cocktails were hurled at soldiers, who responded with live ammunition.
No injuries were reported among Israeli soldiers. Other raids were conducted around Nablus and other towns in the occupied West Bank, leaving nine Palestinians arrested and weapons confiscated.
On Monday, Israeli forces said they had killed five Palestinians during an overnight raid on the Aqabat Jaber refugee camp in the city of Jericho.
The aim of the raid in the refugee camp was to arrest a number of militants suspected of carrying out an attempted attack on a restaurant last month, the Israeli military said.
These incidents come amid mounting violence between Israelis and Palestinians.
At least 49 Palestinians, several of them minors, have been killed in connection with military operations, Palestinian-led attacks and clashes with Israeli troops so far this year. On the Israeli side, seven people, including a minor, have died.
On January 26, 10 Palestinians were killed in a day in the West Bank, including nine who died during a raid by Israeli forces. The next day, a Palestinian killed seven Israelis outside a synagogue in East Jerusalem.
Both are among the deadliest incidents in Israel and the West Bank in years.EFE