Palestinian teen killed in Israeli military operation in West Bank
Jerusalem, Apr 10 (EFE).- A 15-year-old Palestinian boy was killed after being shot multiple times and two others were injured during an Israeli army operation in the occupied West Bank on Monday, the Palestinian health ministry said, amid a surge of violence in the region.
The boy, identified as Mohamed Fayez, died of gunshot wounds to the head, chest and abdomen in the incident that took place in the Aqabat Jaber refugee camp, the ministry said.
The Israeli army confirmed that its troops conducted an operation in Aqabat Jabr, adjacent to the Palestinian resort city of Jericho, “to arrest a terror suspect” who will be tried in an Israeli court.
Violent clashes erupted during the operation, an army spokesperson said, with soldiers responding with gunfire after “suspects” had thrown explosives and Molotov cocktails. No Israeli troops were injured.
Israeli forces raided the camp to arrest activists and opened live fire on Palestinians who confronted them, according to the Palestinian official news agency Wafa.
The incident comes hours after an Israeli soldier and officer were slightly injured when they came under fire while conducting a raid in the northern West Bank city of Nablus.
Tensions have been soaring in the region, as army raids in the West Bank, Palestinian attacks and settler violence have been on the rise.
So far, 96 Palestinians have died this year in military operations, Palestinian-led attacks and clashes with Israeli troops, the deadliest start to the year in the West Bank since 2000, while at least 18 Israelis have died in 2023.
Violent clashes also broke out last week between Israeli police and Muslim worshippers in Jerusalem’s al-Aqsa Mosque during the holy fasting month of Ramadan, and there have also been exchanges of rocket fire between Israel and Palestinian militias in the Gaza Strip, Syria and Lebanon.EFE