Business & Economy

Plane returns to Tokyo after passenger bites flight attendant: media

Tokyo, Jan 17 (EFE).- An All Nippon Airways (ANA) plane flying to Seattle returned to Tokyo’s Haneda airport Wednesday morning after a passenger allegedly bit a flight attendant.

A 55-year-old man, thought to be American, was arrested by local police upon arrival at the airport on suspicion of injuring the flight attendant on the arm during the incident on ANA Flight 118 Tuesday night while over the Pacific Ocean, Kyodo news agency reported.

It is the latest in a series of incidents in the Japanese aviation sector since the beginning of the year that have sparked alarm among both the public and authorities.

Government spokesman Yoshimasa Hayashi told a press conference Wednesday that the executive will take measures to restore confidence in the sector.

On Tuesday, two passenger planes from Korean Air and Cathay Pacific came into contact with each other at the New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido, while both were on the ground during snowfall.

The accident, which caused no injuries, occurred while the Korean Air plane, bound for Seoul with 289 people on board, was being towed by another vehicle for takeoff and made contact with the Cathay Pacific plane, which was next to it with no one on board.

The tail of the Cathay Pacific plane and the tip of the left wing of the Korean Air plane were damaged, and the Korean company attributed the incident to the towing vehicle slipping due to the conditions.

That day, 46 flights were canceled at Chitose airport due to the snowstorm, although its operator, Hokkaido Airports, assured that the Cathay Pacific and Korean Air incident did not cause more inconvenience than a three-hour flight delay.

On Jan. 2, a Japan Airlines plane from Sapporo collided with a coast guard plane while landing at Tokyo Haneda, killing five people and causing hundreds of cancellations.

The 379 people on board the commercial flight were evacuated safely, although 14 were injured, while, from the coast guard plane, only the seriously injured captain survived. EFE


Related Articles

Back to top button