Copenhagen, Jul 3 (EFE).- Danish police confirmed Sunday that “several” people were killed or wounded in a mass shooting earlier in the afternoon at the Fields mall in Copenhagen.
At a press conference, the Danish capital’s chief police inspector, Soren Thomassen, said that a 22-year-old Danish man had been arrested in connection with the shooting.
He added that, at present, the motives for the shooting were unknown but the police are also investigating a potential terrorism link, although he went on to emphasize that there is still much that is not yet known about the incident.
Thomassen said that there is no evidence of more than one gunman, but police are continuing to work on the assumption that there could be more than one shooter and will keep investigating, along with Danish intelligence services, in that direction until that can be ruled out with absolute certainty.
He said that about 5:30 pm police received reports of shots fired in the Amager district of downtown Copenhagen, near the airport, after which police reinforcements were deployed to the area.
He said that substantial security forces will remain on the scene and emphasized the need to “be absolutely sure” that the situation is “under control.”
Danish television TV2 reported that three people were admitted to local Rigshospitalet hospital after the shooting, according to hospital spokesman Jacob Aaen.
Copenhagen police earlier had reported on Twitter that they had sent reinforcements to the mall after receiving reports of shots fired.
“There have been shots fired and several people have been hit,” police said, without specifying the number of casualties, later confirming that one suspect had been arrested, although they said they were unable to say anything further about that person’s identity.
Copenhagen Mayor Sophie Andersen said on Twitter: “Terrible reports of shooting in Fields. We do not yet know for sure how many were injured or dead, but it is very serious.”
Some 650 meters (about 0.4 mile) from the Field’s mall is the Royal Arena, where British singer Harry Styles was scheduled to hold a sold-out concert. Organizers said that the concert would be held as planned, although it would begin somewhat later than scheduled.
Styles wrote on his Snapchat account: “My team and I pray for everyone involved in the Copenhagen shopping mall shooting. I am shocked. Love H.”