Astana, Oct 14 (EFE).- Russia’s partial mobilization of army reservists decreed last month will be completed in “about two weeks,” president Vladimir Putin said Friday.
“A total of 222,000 people out of 300,000 have already been mobilized” and “all mobilization activities will be completed in about two weeks,” Putin told a press conference at the end of two days of regional summits in the Kazakh capital.
The Kremlin chief stressed that no additional mobilization to boost troop numbers fighting in Ukraine is planned.
Facing numerous allegations that mobilized citizens are being sent to the front without any military training, he said he would instruct the Russian Security Council to conduct an inspection of how the reservists are being trained.
“All citizens called up must receive training,” the Russian president stressed.
Putin also warned of a “global catastrophe” if there were a “direct confrontation” in Ukraine between Russia and Nato.
“The introduction of troops into a direct confrontation with the Russian army is a very dangerous step that could lead to a global catastrophe. I hope that those who speak of this have enough sense not to take such steps,” he said, adding that he hoped “common sense” would prevail.
The Russian president also called Germany’s decision to prioritize its obligations to the alliance over its own economic interests “a mistake.”
“And that is because this has negative economic consequences for the Eurozone, in general, and for Germany in particular,” he said.
Russia’s Security Council, headed by Putin himself, warned this week that if Ukraine joins Nato, “such a step will mean a guaranteed escalation to World War III.” EFE