Conflicts & War

Pyongyang to ignore Washington until it withdraws ‘hostile policy’

Seoul, Mar 18 (efe-epa).- Pyongyang will continue to ignore Washington’s attempts to establish diplomatic contact until it withdraws its “hostile policy” against the Asian country, a North Korean foreign ministry official said Thursday through a statement published by KCNA news agency.

“We have already declared our stand that no DPRK-US contact and dialog of any kind can be possible unless the US rolls back its hostile policy towards the DPRK,” said Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui.

“Therefore, we will disregard such an attempt of the US in the future, too.”

The message comes after it was learned that Pyongyang has been ignoring messages from Washington since February and during US secretaries of state and defense, Antony Blinken and Lloyd Austin, to Seoul to chart the new strategy of the White House to face the North Korean challenge.

Choe confirmed that the US government has tried unsuccessfully to contact the regime through the North Korean diplomatic representation at the United Nations and “e-mails and telephone messages via various routes.”

The evening before the start of the joint military drill Washington and Seoul have been carrying out since last week in the south of the peninsula, President Joe Biden’s administration sent a message requesting a response “through a third country,” Choe said.

“But we don’t think there is need to respond to the US delaying-time trick again.”

“In order for a dialog to be held, an atmosphere for both parties to exchange words on an equal basis must be created,” insisted Choe, who assured that since the arrival of the Biden government in January “what has been heard” is “lunatic theory” with messages about the “threat from North Korea” and “groundless rhetoric about ‘complete denuclearization'” of the Asian country.

In turn, she said that the US continues to assess the possibility of applying “additional sanctions” to those already activated against North Korea and recalled that Blinken, during his recent visit to Tokyo, mentioned that Washington is reassessing all the possibilities in its new strategy including new pressurizing measures.

Denuclearization dialog between the US and Pyongyang has been stalled since the failed Hanoi summit in February 2019 and in January leader Kim Jong-un urged the Biden government to propose new alternatives to resume the talks soon, warning of new weapons tests.

Last Tuesday, on the eve of Blinken and Austin’s arrival in Seoul, Kim’s sister Kim Yo-jong condemned the joint exercises and again hinted at the resumption of those rehearsals. EFE-EPA

asb/tw

Related Articles

Back to top button