Crime & Justice

Reading stabbing attack declared terror incident

London, Jun 21 (efe-epa).- Police investigating a stabbing that took place in a park in the center of English city Reading and resulted in three fatalities have on Sunday declared the incident a terror attack.

At least another three people were injured in the attack and Thames Valley police are questioning a 25 year-old suspect arrested after the incident on Saturday.

“As you will be aware, last night a murder investigation was launched by Thames Valley Police officers and this has now been declared a terrorism incident,” Chief Constable John Campbell said in a statement.

“At 6.56pm we received a report that a number of people had been stabbed in Forbury Gardens in Reading. “Tragically, three people have died and others were injured in this attack.”

Campbell said he was unable to give details about the suspect, given that it was now a counter-terror operation.

The exact number of injured people and their identities have not yet been made public.

“Within five minutes of the first call, officers had apprehended a man and made an arrest. He remains in police custody at this time.”

According to eyewitness reports in British media, the suspect apparently randomly stabbed people sitting in the park and when he realized that people were running, the individual tried to flee the area.

A block of flats was raided after the arrest.

The stabbings took place around three hours after a peaceful anti-racism protest by the Black Lives Matter movement had taken place in the city, located between London and Oxford.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that his “thoughts are with all of those affected by the appalling incident in Reading,” and thanked emergency services.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said her “heart, prayers and thoughts are with all of those affected.” EFE-EPA

prc-tw-jt

Related Articles

Back to top button