Mexico City, Jul 30 (EFE).- Activists, friends and family of the five people murdered in Mexico’s so-called Narvarte case in Mexico City marked eight years on Sunday since the crime occurred and claimed that lines of investigation were still pending.
Although the murders occurred on July 31, 2015, the families and independent investigators said they had discovered new inconsistencies by the current administration in the investigation into the deaths of photojournalist Rubén Espinosa, activist Nadia Vera, domestic worker Alejandra Negrete, Colombian model Mile Martín and makeup artist Yesenia Quiroz.
“The case continues to stall. Thanks to the documentary (“In Broad Daylight: The Narvarte Case”), to the independent investigators and to the families who continue to provide evidence. It is worth saying that we continue to realize that they are not reviewing the file,” said Indira Alfaro, mother of Yesenia Quiroz, in an interview with EFE.
The crowd met at 1909 Luz Saviñón street, where the bodies had been found in an apartment with bullet wounds to the head, and there a ceremony was held.
They then attended the “Art To Not Forget You” festival, where artists demanded that the crime be resolved in its entirety.
“(We feel) satisfaction to see that there are still people who share our pain and our struggle. We thought that many people had already forgotten, but (…) seeing so many people here is one more reason to continue,” Alfaro said.
Juan Vázquez, communication officer of Article 19, an organization that has been accompanying the relatives since 2015, explained that the Mexico City Prosecutor’s Office must address the line of investigation that is related to Rubén’s journalistic work and Nadia’s activism.
“What we have seen is that there has been a lethargy on the part of the Prosecutor’s Office,” said Vázquez.
Relatives and activists insisted on the need to keep this case in mind despite the passing of time and recalled that it is not the only unsolved crime in Mexico, a country where impunity prevails. EFE