Conflicts & War

Renewed Israeli atatcks kills over 100 Palestinians after ceasefire expires

Rafah/Jerusalem/Cairo, Dec 1 (EFE).- More than 100 Palestinians were killed on Friday in a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza after the expiry of a ceasefire agreement between Hamas and Israel.

However, Qatari diplomats affirmed that talks were ongoing for a new truce to stop the Israeli hostilities against civilians in the devastated Palestinian enclave.

As the fighting in the besieged strip resumed, the Palestinian Islamist group and Israel blamed each other for not taking adequate measures to renew afresh the Nov. 24 truce that had been extended twice in the past week.

The Gaza health ministry, controlled by Hamas, accused the Israeli military of committing new massacres in the strip after the humanitarian truce ended, resulting in 109 new deaths within hours of the fresh assault.

The Israeli military said that it hit “over 200 terror targets” after the end of a truce.

“Over the last few hours, ground, air and naval forces struck terror targets in the north and south of the Gaza Strip, including in Khan Younis and Rafah,” the military said in a statement.

The Israeli military campaign in Gaza has killed over 15,000 people, mostly women and children, since the war began on Oct. 7, when thousands of Hamas fighters stormed into Israeli territory and massacred more than 1,200 and kidnapped 240.

The health ministry said the hospitals have not been able to recover from the devastation they suffered in the first phase of the war during which the fighting lasted for seven weeks in row.

The seven-day truce “did not help the health system” to improve, the ministry said. “We need to guarantee the flow of medical supplies and fuel to all hospitals in the Gaza Strip.”

While Israel continues its ground offensive in the enclave and its aerial bombing in the south, Health Ministry spokesperson Ashraf al-Qudra warned that “situation in Gaza, particularly in the north, is extremely catastrophic” as hospitals were out of service.

“The medical and clinical capacities in the northern part of Gaza are very limited. The three remaining hospitals are small and cannot receive the growing number of wounded,” he said.

The Israeli Army resumed bombing targeting areas across the strip – from Gaza City and Jabalia, in the north, to Khan Yunis and Rafah, in the south.

The Israeli military dropped leaflets in Khan Younis, ordering residents to “evacuate immediately” from the “fighting zone.”

“You have to evacuate immediately and head to the shelter in Rafah. Khan Younis city is a fighting zone,” the leaflet said in Arabic.

Lives images of mushrooms of smoke and clouds blinding dust returned to haunt the strip as hundreds of Palestinians desperately searched for their relatives under the rubble of destroyed residential structures. Many carried the wounded in their arms, seeking medical assistance.

Among those killed on Friday were two girls, the official Palestinian press agency, Wafa, reported.

Dozens were injured and taken to Al Ahli Baptist Hospital.

The United States, Israel’s main ally, had warned the Jewish state against resuming fighting unless it had a concrete plan to avoid civilian deaths and mass displacement of Gazans.

Qatar, one of the key mediator between Israel and Hamas, deeply regretted the new attacks on Gaza, but affirmed that negotiations continued on a fresh ceasefire agreement.

A foreign ministry press statement said that Doha and its negotiating partners, the US and Egypt, were “committed to continue with the efforts that led to the humanitarian truce.”

Related Articles

Back to top button