Moscow, Jan 14 (EFE).- Russia on Friday said it would not wait “forever” to hear back from the United States and Nato with regards to its list of security proposals to de-escalate the brewing tensions around Ukraine, which would include a halt on the Atlantic Alliance’s eastward expansion.
“We are waiting for a written response from our colleagues,” foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said during an annual press conference in Moscow.
“We believe that they know it should be done expeditiously and in writing. We will not wait forever,” he added.
“Whatever they say about the need to talk with their allies and involve all members of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, they are just empty statements to delay a response,” he said. “We are aware of the fact that any deal depends on the US.”
The foreign minister fell short of detailing how Moscow would react if its proposals were rejected by the West.
“As president (Vladimir) Putin has said, that depends on what the military experts recommend.”
The chief negotiator on the topic, Sergei Ryabkov, has previously suggested Russia could respond militarily.
Lavrov’s annual presser came following a week of high-level meetings between Russia, the US and Nato that were aimed at de-escalating a flare up of military tensions around Ukraine.
Washington and Kiev claim Russia has amassed 100,000 soldiers along the Ukrainian border, raising fears of a possible armed conflict or full-on invasion. EFE