New Delhi, Apr 6 (efe-epa).- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov described the West’s response to Ukraine’s actions in the Donbas region as disappointing.
In recent weeks, Donbas has witnessed an escalation of tensions between the Ukrainian army and separatist militias while Moscow and Kiev accuse each other of mobilizing troops.
“Unfortunately the response and actions of our western colleagues to the building up of the military infrastructure as well as the transfer of the troops to the contact line in Donbas is disappointing,” Lavrov said in New Delhi, where he is on a two-day official visit.
“Our western colleagues still believe that they need to, in all ways possible, support the Ukranian authorities, including its unacceptable statements and actions,” said the Russian minister.
“And now, Kiev turns from political violations to the threat of military action,” Lavrov stressed.
There has been a war between the Ukrainian Army and Russian-backed separatists in Donbas since 2014 that has claimed the lives of some 14,000 people, according to records by the United Nations.
In recent weeks, the region has experienced an escalation of tension with mutual accusations between Kiev and Moscow of troop mobilization and preparations for a possible offensive, generating concern among NATO allies, including the United States.
Last week Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky alerted the West that Russia had increased its military presence on the border, and also had his first telephone conversation with his US counterpart, Joe Biden, who expressed his support against the Russian “aggression.”
On its part, the authorities of the self-declared Donetsk People’s Republic have warned that Kiev has been building up troops and military equipment, including tanks and artillery, along the demarcation line between them.
On Saturday, the Russia-backed separatist authorities reported that the Ukrainian Army had attacked their territory with heavy weaponry – prohibited under the Minsk agreements – for the first time since the signing of the July 2020 ceasefire. EFE-EPA