Lviv, Ukraine, July 16 (EFE).- Russian troops have killed at least seven civilians in the hotly-contested eastern Donetsk region that continues to brave heavy bombardment, the regional military head said on Saturday.
According to Pavlo Kyrylenko, the commander of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration, two people were murdered in Krasnohorivka and one each in Sloviansk, Avdiivka, Zakitne, Hirnyk, and Ostrivske.
“Another 14 people were wounded,” he wrote.
One person who had previously been injured in the Luhansk region died in Kostiantynivka.
The Russians conducted air strikes on small towns like Bakhmut and the vicinity of others such as Berestove and New York in Donetsk, where “the enemy is trying to group together” to maintain the pressure, Kyrylenko said.
The Russian military is attempting to reach the strategically important stronghold of Sloviansk.
Russia has begun a military effort to take control of the Donbas strip, which encompasses the Luhansk and Donetsk territories, despite heavy opposition from Ukrainians.
The military chief said determining the actual number of casualties in Mariupol and Volnovakha was difficult.
He also shared a photo of the aftermath of a missile assault on Kramatorsk, where a shell fell in the city’s central plaza.
In the south, in the districts of Zaporizhia, where the largest European nuclear power facility is currently under Russian control, and Kherson, the Ukrainians are attempting to retake territory previously captured by the Russians.