Seoul, June 14 (efe-epa).- The South Korean government asked North Korea on Sunday to comply with the bilateral agreements reached so far, after Pyongyang threatened to sever its ties with Seoul and threatened it with potential military action.
“The government is taking the current situation seriously and South and North should adhere to all agreements” they previously reached, the South Korean Unification Ministry said in a statement picked up by local news agency Yonhap.
The ministry statement is released hours after Kim Yo-jong, the younger sister of the North Korean leader and deputy director of the United Front Department (a powerful single-party body that manages relations with the South) advocated breaking with the neighboring country. and authorize the army to take the necessary measures.
“I think it is time to break with the South Korean authorities. We will soon carry out our next action,” Kim said in a statement released to his state media without offering details.
Following the message, the South Korean authorities held an emergency meeting between representatives of Foreign, Defense, Unification and national security today to analyze the situation, and stated that they are closely monitoring the military movements of the North and remain prepared for any situation.
North Korea has raised the tone of its accusations to the South and has recently issued harsh criticism of the neighboring country following the sending of leaflets to the North by anti-regime activists and which has further touched its already strained relations.
In an apparent response, Pyongyang announced a week ago his decision to cut off his lines of communication with Seoul.
The breakdown in communication came after Pyongyang’s repeated threats to close the inter-Korean liaison office and completely abandon other major cross-border programs.
Kim’s own sister referred to the liaison office yesterday, which she called “useless,” and predicted her “complete breakdown” in no time.
This latest message to Seoul came, moreover, a day after Pyongyang said it will bolster its nuclear program with a deterrent in response to what it sees as unfulfilled promises by the United States after two years of unsuccessful negotiations on precisely achieving denuclearization. North Korean. EFE -EPA