Johannesburg, Apr 18 (EFE).- South African armed forces have been deployed to the coastal province of KwaZulu-Natal to help relief efforts after devastating floods killed over 440 people, the army reported Monday.
The South African National Defense Force (SANDF) said up to 10,000 troops had been deployed to the worst affected areas for tasks including transporting humanitarian aid and providing medical support.
The SANDF added it would provide helicopters to help with the rescue search for missing people.
At least 443 people have died as a result of the floods and 63 people remain unaccounted for, local authorities said.
Many households across the province remain without power and running water while thousands of people have been displaced.
Up to 40,000 people have been affected by the flooding, authorities said.
The flooding is the worst to hit KwaZulu-Natal in recent history.
The shanty towns around Durban, the third-largest city in South Africa, have been particularly hard-hit, with many informal houses completely washed away by torrential rains and landslides.
The province has been experiencing extreme weather events in recent years.
In 2019, some 80 people died after heavy rains caused flooding and landslides in the same area. EFE