Madrid Desk, Nov 9 (EFE).- South Korea’s talismanic forward Son Heung-min on Wednesday said he would represent his team at the 2022 Fifa World Cup in Qatar despite picking up an eye injury that required surgery last week.
Son, 30, took to Instagram to thank his fans for the messages of support sent in following the left eye socket fracture he picked up in the first half of Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-1 victory over Olympique Marseille in the Uefa Champions League on November 1.
“In a tough time I received a lot of strength from you! Playing for your country at the World Cup is the dream of so many children growing up, just as it was one of mine too. I won’t miss this for the world. I can’t wait to represent our beautiful country,” the attacker added.
The South Korea international underwent surgery on Friday and was ruled out for the remaining Premier League fixtures before the World Cup break.
Spurs head coach Antonio Conte on Sunday said he was confident Son would recover in time for Qatar.
South Korea’s World Cup campaign kicks off with a Group H tie against Uruguay on November 24.
While Son was able to confirm his participation at the World Cup, things were less clear for Senegal’s Sadio Mané.
The Bayern Munich forward picked up a shin injury during the club’s 6-1 win against Werder Bremen, and has been ruled out for the Bundesliga tie against Shalke.
“Further examinations will follow in the coming days. FC Bayern is also in contact with the medical staff of the Senegalese Football Association,” the German champions said in a statement Wednesday.
Senegal are due to begin their Qatar campaign on November 21 against the Netherlands in Group A.
England defender Reece James confirmed Wednesday that a knee injury sustained in October would prevent him from joining the World Cup squad, which is due to be outlined by head coach Gareth Southgate on Thursday.
“Devastated. The minute I injured my knee, I knew the turn around to make the World Cup would be tight, but I always felt it was possible,” he said on social media.
“Good luck to the boys. I’ll be back soon,” he added.
James’ was the latest name added to a growing list of players ruled out for Qatar through injury, which includes the likes of his teammate Ben Chilwell, France’s Paul Pogba and N’Golo Kanté, Germany’s Timo Werner, Portugal’s Diogo Jota and The Netherlands’ Georginio Wijnaldum.EFE