Kabul, Aug 15 (EFE).- The Taliban entered Kabul Sunday, despite having initially claimed they would not come in until a transfer of power was agreed upon, while President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani left the country.
“In order to prevent looting in Kabul city, and stop opportunists from harming people, the Islamic Emirate (as the Taliban define themselves) ordered its forces to enter the areas of the city left by the enemy,” the Taliban said in a statement.
The statement said Kabul citizens should not fear the Mujahideen, ensuring that the fighters will “enter the city calmly.”
“The military and civil employees can be confident that no one will harm them,” they said. “No mujahid is allowed to enter any civilian’s house, nor to torture or disturb anyone.”
In a video message, the chairman of the High Council for National Reconciliation Abdullah Abdullah confirmed that the “former president” Ghani had fled the country, and blamed him for the situation.
Abdullah said that God will hold Ghani accountable for his actions, and hoped for “a way to be found for the peaceful life of the people” of Afghanistan.
The Taliban reached the outskirts of Kabul earlier on Sunday, but said they would not enter the city by force while negotiating a peaceful transition of power.
The Afghan government had guaranteed that “all security forces are mobilized and organized for the safety of Kabul,” as stated by Interior Minister Abdul Satar Mirzakwal in a video message soon after the insurgents reached the outskirts of the city.
“Kabul city will not be attacked. It has been agreed that Kabul city’s security and political power will be handed over peacefully under a transitional administration,” he said.
Acting defense Minister Bismillah Muhammadi also ensured citizens through a video message that Kabul is “safe and secure,” and foreign troops are “ready for every type of cooperation” with Afghan security forces.