Three Palestinians killed in Israeli military raid in West Bank
Jerusalem, Feb 22 (EFE).- At least three Palestinians have been killed during an arrest raid conducted by Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian officials said Wednesday.
Sixty-seven others were injured in the incursion that sparked clashes in the city of Nablus, a stronghold for Palestinian armed resistance since last year, the Palestinian health ministry confirmed.
A ministry spokesman identified the deceased as Khaled Mohamed, 25, Tamer Minawi, 33, and Adnan Baara, 72.
Heavy clashes broke out after a large number of Israeli troops stormed the old city of Nablus and gathered around a house, Wafa news agency said, adding that soldiers threw tear gas and stun grenades at homes and shops.
The Israeli army, meanwhile, confirmed forces were operating in Nablus but gave no further information on what the raid has resulted in.
Wednesday’s incident comes amid an escalation of violence in the region that has left 62 dead so far this year: 51 Palestinians – an average of more than one a day – and 11 people on the Israeli side.
It comes after a Palestinian killed seven people in an Israeli settlement in occupied East Jerusalem on January 27, the deadliest attack on Israelis in more than a decade.
That attack also came in response to a bloody Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank, in which 10 Palestinians, including militiamen and civilians, were killed. EFE