Social Issues

Tottenham to open review with Premier League after Son racially abused online

Sports Desk, Apr 12 (EFE).- English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur has said it would carry out a “review” after its star midfielder Heung-min Son was targeted by racist abuse on social media following the team’s 1-3 loss to Manchester United.

“Another matchday and more abhorrent racial abuse suffered by one of our players. This has again been reported to the platforms and we shall now undertake a full review alongside the Premier League to determine the most effective action moving forward,” Spurs said in a statement.

“We stand with you, Sonny.”

South Korean international Son scored the London side’s only goal in Sunday’s game but appeared despondent during a post-match interview as Tottenham’s hopes of a top-four finish slipped from sight.

Racist abuse against Premier League footballers on social media is a growing problem.

Last week, Liverpool duo Trent Alexander-Arnold and Naby Keita were racially abused on Instagram following the team’s defeat to Real Madrid in the Champions League.

Former France and Arsenal legend Thierry Henry recently closed his social media accounts until the issue is tackled.

The Premier League has called on social media companies to do more to weed out discriminatory abuse and ban offenders from the platforms. EFE

jt

Related Articles

Back to top button