Trump Plans New Move to Force Citizenship Question on Census

WASHINGTON (AP) — El presidente Donald Trump dijo que realizará una conferencia de prensa en las próximas horas sobre el censo de 2020 y su pretensión de incluir una pregunta sobre ciudadanía.

Trump tuiteó el jueves por la mañana que planeaba “una Conferencia de Prensa sobre el Censo y la Ciudadanía” después de la Cumbre de Redes Sociales en la Casa Blanca.

Un alto funcionario del gobierno que habló bajo condición de anonimato para poder adelantar los planes, dijo que el presidente anunciará una nueva medida, pero no entró en detalles.

Trump dijo la semana pasada que estaba considerando “muy seriamente” emitir un decreto para tratar de forzar la inclusión de la pregunta y que era una de las cuatro o cinco opciones que sopesaba.

Un decreto no bastaría para anular fallos judiciales, pero sí podría dar a los abogados del gobierno una nueva base para convencer a los tribunales federales que permitan la inclusión de la pregunta.

El gobierno de Trump se ha enfrenado a varios obstáculos para incluir la pregunta, incluido el fallo de la Corte Suprema que temporalmente prohíbe su inclusión. El miércoles, un segundo juez federal rechazó el plan del Departamento de Justicia de cambiar al equipo legal que defiende la pregunta. La orden llegó un día después de que otro juez federal en Manhattan emitiera un fallo similar diciendo que el Departamento de Justicia no puede reemplazar a nueve abogados cuando la disputa está tan avanzada sin explicar satisfactoriamente el motivo.

El objetivo del gobierno de preguntar sobre la ciudadanía desde 1950 refleja los grandes intereses políticos y posibles costos en el conteo poblacional que se hace cada década que determina la asignación de escaños en la Cámara de Representantes para los próximos 10 años y la distribución de unos 675.000 millones de dólares en gastos federales.

Si no se cuentan todos los inmigrantes, los demócratas temen que podrían quitar dinero y poder político a las ciudades que favorecen a los demócratas en donde suelen agruparse los inmigrantes, y lo destinarían a áreas rurales y más blancas en donde les va bien a los republicanos.

 

 

English:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is expected to announce new executive action Thursday to try to force the inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 census, even after the Supreme Court temporarily blocked the effort.

Trump tweeted Thursday morning that he would be holding a news conference on the subject. A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity to preview the plans, said the president would be announcing new action but did not elaborate.

Any action to get past the Supreme Court ruling would likely draw immediate legal challenge, and officials were still scrambling to finalize language in the hours after Trump’s tweet.

Trump said last week that he was “very seriously” considering an executive order to try to force the citizenship question’s inclusion, despite the fact that the government has already begun the lengthy and expensive process of printing the census questionnaire without it.

Critics say that including a citizenship question for the first time since 1950 will discourage participation in the census, not only by those living in the country illegally but also by citizens who fear that participating will expose noncitizen family members to repercussions.

Keeping the prospect of adding the question alive could in itself scare some away from participating, while showing Trump’s base that he is fighting for the issue.

Trump’s 2016 campaign was animated by his pledge to crack down on illegal immigration, and he has tied the citizenship question to that issue, insisting the U.S. must know who is living here.

An executive order, by itself, would not override court rulings blocking the question, though it could give administration lawyers a new basis on which to try to convince federal courts the question passes muster.

Trump’s administration has faced numerous roadblocks to adding the question, beginning with the ruling by the Supreme Court temporarily barring its inclusion on the grounds that the government’s justification was insufficient. A federal judge on Wednesday also rejected the Justice Department’s plan to replace the legal team fighting for inclusion, a day after another federal judge in Manhattan issued a similar ruling, saying the government can’t replace nine lawyers so late in the dispute without satisfactorily explaining why.