Turkey, Syria earthquakes toll approaches 50,000
Ankara, Jan 23 (EFE).- The death toll from the devastating earthquakes that shook southeastern Turkey and northwestern Syria on Feb. 6 has surpassed 49,300 people, according to authorities.
Turkey’s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told public broadcaster TRT overnight that the death toll in the country had risen to 43,556.
The outlet also reported that more than 5,800 had been killed in Syria.
In the most-affected province of Hatay there are still some buildings with people under the rubble, Soylu said, but that search and rescue work in all other areas had finished.
The infrastructure for 100,000 container homes is being built and expected to be completed in two months, he said.
According to Soylu, 600,000 homes were destroyed, as were some 150,000 commercial premises.
The minister said that the authorities have identified some 500 builders suspected of being responsible for constructions that did not comply with earthquake safety regulations. About 160 people have been detained so far. EFE