Washington, Oct 20 (EFE).- Twitter told its staff on Thursday that it has no intentions for large-scale layoffs, following a media report that said the firm planned to slash its workforce by 75 percent when billionaire Elon Musk acquired the social networking giant.
Twitter’s lead attorney Sean Edgett’s internal memo sought to deny a report by the Washington Post that Musk had informed his potential investors for the Twitter deal that he planned to cut by three-fourths the 7,500 workers.
According to the Post, which claims to have obtained documents on the latest conversations between the Tesla CEO and potential investors, Musk would have just about 2,000 people on the list of Twitter employees.
The newspaper said that even if the deal did not go through, the company would still undertake cuts that would reach approximately a quarter of the 7,500 workers.
It pointed out the planned cuts could affect the ability of the network to control harmful or offensive content like child pornography.
The documents and interviews by the Post suggest the cuts would affect the company’s infrastructure, especially the data centers that allow the operation of the network of more than 200 million users.
Earlier this month, Twitter said it had accepted Tesla CEO Musk’s offer to buy the social network for $44 billion, as the two parties had agreed in April.
Initially, the deal fell through after Musk tried to back out and Twitter responded by suing him.
Musk’s purchase is likely to be closed on Oct.28. EFE