Kyiv, June 26 (EFE).- Ukraine has recaptured around 130 square kilometres (50 square miles) along the southern front line in a substantial push against Russian occupation, according to Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar on Monday.
The territorial gains were made since the commencement of the Ukrainian forces’ offensive, primarily within the first week, in the south to reconquer the land occupied by Russia.
Over the past seven days, Ukraine has retaken an additional 17 square kilometers in the south due to improved tactical positioning and front-line realignments.
Maliar stated that Ukraine launched an offensive to liberate Berdyansk and Melitopol, two Ukrainian cities currently under Russian occupation in the southern region.
She gave an update on the situation in eastern Ukraine, where Kyiv’s forces have successfully repelled Russian attacks in Liman, Bakhmut, Marinka, and Avdivka.
She said Ukrainian troops launched a major counteroffensive in Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Bakhmut, Bohdanivka, Yahidne, Klishchiyivka, and Kurdyumivka at the end of last week. “In each direction, they have advanced from 1 to 2 km.”
Maliar highlighted that Russia suffered eight times more casualties than Ukraine on the entire front last week.
The Ukrainian army initiated its counteroffensive approximately three weeks ago in the Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia oblasts.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy reiterated his call for increased international attention to the Zaporizhzhia region to prevent a potential Russian nuclear attack.
Meanwhile, Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has reiterated his call for more international attention to Zaporizhzhia to prevent a possible Russian nuclear attack.
Zelenskyy expressed concerns that the international response to the Russian threat at the Zaporizhzhia plant remains insufficient, warning of Russia’s decision to mine the facility.
He revealed that he had shared intelligence inputs with Ukrainian allies regarding the possibility of Russia mining the nuclear plant.
Zelenskyy held talks on Sunday with US, Canadian, and Polish presidents, urging the world to take specific measures and prevent any possible radiation accidents.
He recalled an alleged June 6 blasting of the New Kakhovka dam by Russia in occupied southern Ukraine as an example of the lack of a global response.
“The lack of a global response to Russia blowing up the dam at the Kakhovka HPP and to its attempt to blow up the dam at the Kryvyi Rih reservoir have enabled the occupation forces to prepare a terrorist attack [that might result in] a radiation leak at the Zaporizhzhia NPP,” Zelenskyy said.
“Ukraine’s partners have to take a firm stand on this, especially during the NATO summit in Vilnius.”
Last week, Ukraine accused Russia of mining the Zaporizhzhia power station, Europe’s largest, and preparing an attack that could result in a radiation leak to halt the Ukrainian offensive. EFE