Cairo, May 5 (EFE).- The United Nations envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, on Wednesday said the warring sides in Yemen are far from reaching an agreement to end the country’s long conflict.
Griffiths’ comments came at the end of a round of talks in Saudi Arabia and Oman aimed at finding a solution to the conflict that has pushed Yemen to the verge of famine and devastated its health facilities.
“Unfortunately, we are not where we would like to be in reaching a deal. Meanwhile, the war continued unabated causing immense suffering to the civilian population,” Griffiths said in a statement.
The negotiating parties — the UN, Yemeni, regional, and international representatives — have not reached a ceasefire agreement that would allow the political process to work toward an end to the war that broke out more than six years ago.
In March, Saudi Arabia proposed a peace initiative to the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels that would include a UN-supervised ceasefire and the reopening of Sanaa airport but the Houthis dismissed it as not serious.
Since then, the violence in Marib province has escalated between insurgents and forces loyal to the internationally recognized government of Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.
“We have been discussing these issues for over a year now. The international community has been supporting us in full force,” said Griffiths.
“I will keep engaging the parties to the conflict and all involved and concerned actors and stakeholders to offer them opportunities to find common grounds to help advance the peace efforts,” he added.
The country on the Arabian Peninsula has been gripped by a devastating power struggle between the Saudi-backed government and the Houthis since late 2014.
Yemen is one of the poorest countries in the world and the war has significantly increased the suffering of its people. According to UN figures, 24 million people, around 80% of the population, are dependent on humanitarian aid. EFE