Geneva, Mar 6 (EFE).- The United Nations Human Rights Council recorded on Sunday 1,123 civilian casualties in Ukraine since Russian troops launched a full-scale invasion 11 days ago, even though it says the figure is likely to be “considerably higher”.
“OHCHR believes that the real figures are considerably higher, especially in Government-controlled territory and especially in recent days, as the receipt of information from some locations where intense hostilities have been going on has been delayed and many reports are still pending corroboration,” it said in a statement.
“This concerns, for example, the town of Volnovakha where there are allegations of hundreds of civilian casualties,” it added.
The 1,123 casualties include 364 killed, out of which 25 children, and 759 injured, according to OHCHR.
The majority of casualties have been reported in Donetsk and Luhansk, the two self-proclaimed republics in Donbas, in eastern Ukraine, where 88 people have been killed and 415 injured.
“Most of the civilian casualties recorded were caused by the use of explosive weapons with a wide impact area, including shelling from heavy artillery and multi-launch rocket systems, and missile and air strikes,” OHCHR said.
While the figure has not been independently verified, Ukraine’s emergency services have said some 2,000 people have died in the conflict so far. EFE