Conflicts & War

US confirms 6 Houthi ballistic missile attacks in Red Sea

Washington, Feb 6 (EFE).- The United States Central Command said Tuesday it had identified six anti-ship ballistic missile launches by Houthi rebels from areas of Yemen toward the southern Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

This new wave had been announced hours before by Houthi military Spokesman Yahya Sarea in a statement that said the attacks “will continue in response to the oppression of the Palestinian people and the American-British aggression against our country.”

“Iranian-backed Houthi militants fired six anti-ship ballistic missiles (ASBM) from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen toward the Southern Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden,” Centcom wrote on its X social media profile.

It also reported an explosion near the ship that caused “minor damage but no injuries,” and that another missile hit nearby waters.

“USS Laboon (DDG 58), operating near MV Star Nasia, intercepted and shot down a third anti-ship ballistic missile fired by the Iranian-backed Houthis. MV Star Nasia remains seaworthy and is continuing toward its destination,” US Central Command said.

The escalation of tension in the Red Sea coincides with the presence in the region of US State Secretary Antony Blinken, who on Monday visited Saudi Arabia and on Tuesday traveled to Egypt, as part of his fifth tour of the Middle East.

This was to secure a truce and the release of hostages in the Gaza Strip, as well as to try to prevent the expansion of the conflict in the region. EFE

gac/lds

Related Articles

Back to top button