Mexico City, Nov 26 (EFE).- Representatives of the Venezuelan government and opposition agreed here Saturday to collaborate on efforts to regain access to funds frozen as a result of the sanctions imposed on Caracas by the United States.
The signing of the accord came of the first day of the renewal of talks in Mexico City between President Nicolas Maduro’s leftist administration and opposition parties grouped in the Unitary Platform.
The pact calls on the two sides to cooperate in securing resources for humanitarian aid, medical care and repair of Venezuela’s electric grid, which is subject to frequent blackouts.
Norwegian mediator Dag Nylander reminded the signatories that any unilateral act by either of them deviating from the terms will invalidate the agreement, though the text allows for the addition of annexes.
And while the international community supports the dialogue, progress “will depend on the Venezuelans,” Nylander said.
Speaking on behalf of the hosts, Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said that Saturday’s signing represented “hope” for Latin America.
The dialogue between the Venezuelan government and opposition got under way last year only to come to a halt in October 2021 after the US detained Alex Saab, who was traveling on a Venezuelan diplomatic passport, and put him on trial for his efforts to help Caracas get around Washington’s draconian sanctions, prompting Maduro to suspend the talks.
But the two sides agreed to try again and the start of Saturday’s session coincided with an announcement by the US Treasury Department that California based oil giant Chevron will be allowed to resume limited operations in Venezuela, which boasts the world’s largest reserves of crude.
The Unitary Platform said in a statement that it was returning to the table in Mexico to “reach, once and for all, tangible and real accords that translate into solutions for the humanitarian crisis.”