Geneva, Apr 13 (EFE).- The World Health Organization said Wednesday that while coronavirus related deaths were at their lowest since the start of the pandemic, Covid-19 would remain a public health emergency.
“This week, the Covid-19 International Health Regulations Emergency Committee met and unanimously agreed that the pandemic remains a public health emergency,” WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, told a press conference in Geneva.
Dr Ghebreyesus said that last week, the lowest number of Covid-19 deaths was recorded since the early days of the pandemic, but that it was not the time to let our guards down.
“It is far from being the time to drop our guard,” he warned, adding that some countries were still experiencing a spike in infections which was adding pressure on hospitals.
Dr Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO Health Emergencies Programme, echoed that sentiment.
“It will be very, very, very short-sighted at this time to assume that lower numbers of cases means an absolute lower risk, we are very pleased to see the deaths dropping, but this virus has surprised us before, this virus has caught us off guard before,” he said. EFE