Sports

World number one Barty pulls out of French Open with injury

Paris, Jun 3 (EFE).-Ashleigh Barty, the world No. 1, is out of French Open after withdrawing through injury during her second-round clash with Magda Linette on Thursday.

A left hip injury picked up during practice over the weekend forced the 25-year-old Australian to pull the plug 48 minutes into the match trailing 6-1, 2-2.

Barty, the 2019 French Open Champion, had already struggled in her first match, where she needed three sets to eliminate Bernarda Pera.

“It’s disappointing to end like this,” said Barty, according to the tournament’s website.

“I’ve had my fair share of tears this week. It’s all good, everything happens for a reason. There will be a silver lining in this eventually. Once I find out what that is, it’ll make me feel a little bit better, but it will be there, I’m sure,” she added.

Upset by her misfortune, Barty said “for my body to let me down is really disheartening.”

Barty came into the tournament in great form, with title wins in Stuttgart, Miami and Melbourne.

“It was just becoming too much. Right from the first game I was battling the pain, and it just became too severe… it was becoming unsafe,” she said.

Poland’s Linette will compete for a place in last 16 against Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur, who ousted Australia’s Astra Sharma 6-2, 6-4 on Thursday. EFE

lmpg/smq/ks

Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button