Jerusalem, Dec 22 (EFE).- A young Palestinian man has been killed and six others wounded in what was the latest in a months-long wave of deadly clashes between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian officials said Thursday.
The deceased, identified as Ahmed Atef Daraghma, died of gunshot injuries to the back in the city of Nablus, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The Palestinian news agency Wafa said the 23-year-old was a resident of the West Bank city of Tubas and played soccer for the team Tulkarem.
The six other Palestinians suffered injuries caused by gunshot wounds, the Red Crescent medical services said.
The clashes broke out at dawn when Israeli soldiers entered the city to escort a group of Jewish worshippers who were planning to pray at Joseph’s Tomb, sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims.
According to the Israeli military, soldiers were working to ensure the entry of Israeli civilians into the holy site before armed Palestinians started throwing explosive devices and firing at them.
Israeli forces responded with live fire, and suffered no casualties, a military spokesman said in a statement.
This year has been the deadliest for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2006.
There have been intense Israeli raids and armed clashes with Palestinians, especially since late March when Israel launched a military operation it calls “Breaking the Wave” in response to a wave of attacks by Palestinians on Israeli soil.
Since then, violence has been on the rise, leaving at least 170 Palestinians dead, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The fatalities have mostly been militants, but also include children and civilians such as Al Jazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh.EFE