20 Years Later, Mother and Daughter Continue to Celebrate the Miracle of Life Thanks to St. Jude

20 años después, madre e hija siguen celebrando el milagro de vivir gracias a St. Jude


Por Vivian Fernández-de-Adamson


MEMPHIS, TN (LPL) — On the occasion of Mother’s Day, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital shared with La Prensa Latina the story that you can read below. It is a story that, besides being real and inspiring, it shows how a mother’s love can help overcome any obstacle in life, especially if there is hope and faith in God.


A St. Jude mother’s resolve: “She is not going to die.” (By Kristina Goetz)

It has been 20 years since Mariangeles Grear was cured of childhood cancer. It was her mother’s voice that carried her through.

Mariangeles Grear was 13 years old, lying in a hospital bed at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital so near death there was a chance she might not wake from a coma.

It wasn’t the acute myeloid leukemia that was killing her at the moment. It was an infection doctors couldn’t find. It may have reached her brain, they said. And no medication was working to stop it.

Mariangela Rubio, Mariangeles’ mother, refused to let her daughter surrender. “Mi amor,” she said. “Despierta. Regresa a mí.” (My love. Wake up. Come back to me.)

She prayed the rosary and asked God and the Virgin Mary to heal her daughter.

She’s ashamed of how much she cried in those days. But she never wavered over whether her daughter would live. Not once.

“I believe in the Lord and St. Jude,” Mariangela said. “Every problem has a solution.”

This year marks 20 years since Mariangeles was cured of AML, a type of blood and bone marrow cancer. And it’s been her mother’s voice – uncompromising, unwavering, unrelenting – that has seen her through all those years: the cancer, two hip replacements and other things.

“My mom is my rock through everything in life,” Mariangeles said. “She is the reason I could look cancer in the face: ‘I’m not scared of you because you should be scared of my mom.’ If you think you’re coming for me, you better think twice because of that red lipstick over there.”

It was September 2000 in Maracaibo, Venezuela, when Mariangeles fell ill with a mysterious sickness. Her gums were so swollen her teeth seemed to disappear. Purple and yellow bruises covered her body. And her fever was, at times, so high that even her eyelids burned.

Her pain was in both flesh and bone.

“I have no power in my body,” she told her mother. It was the only way she could describe how she felt.

Even Mariangeles’ father, a doctor, didn’t know what was wrong with their daughter.

After many tests, a hematologist at a private hospital delivered devastating news: Mariangeles had advanced cancer and needed an immediate bone marrow transplant. And that wasn’t possible in Venezuela.

Without one, the doctor said, she might only have five days to live.

Mariangeles’ father wept.

As a doctor, he knew her condition was grave. He was resigned to find Mariangeles a comfortable room in the clinic to spend her last days.

But Mariangeles’ mother was defiant. She demanded to see the paperwork.

“Who are you to tell me my daughter will die in five days?” she told the doctor. “She is not going to die.”

The doctor suggested the family travel to Italy or Cuba. Maybe the United States.

There was this place in Memphis called St. Jude. The doctor would refer her to see if she could be treated there.

In a matter of days, Mariangeles and her parents arrived in Memphis, before the marble statue of St. Jude Thaddeus at the entrance of the hospital. “The patron saint of lost causes. Mi amor, my love – this hospital – you’re going to have no more problems here,” she said.

Mariangeles didn’t need a bone marrow transplant after all, only chemotherapy.

But the next nine days would prove to be the most tormenting of her mother’s life.

The chemo Mariangeles was given the first day was working. But the fungal infection would not abate. Mariangeles’ lungs were filling with fluid. Doctors induced a coma.  She was put on a ventilator.

Mariangela never left the room.

In the haze of the coma, Mariangeles recognized the sound of the automatic doors, the yellow protective gear that turned nurses into astronauts, and her mother’s ever-present voice, pleading for her to be strong, to come back.

“Believe in St. Jude. Believe in the Lord. Believe in yourself.”

Doctors offered to try a new medicine, and Mariangeles’ parents agreed. It worked. But even as the doctors weaned her from the induced coma, she did not wake up.

Still, her mother refused to give in. Her daughter would not die.

She kept talking. Praying the rosary. Calling Mariangeles’ name.

On the ninth day, Mariangeles called out — garbled — over the tube in her mouth: “Mom?”

The first face she saw was her mother’s — coal black hair perched in an updo and her signature red lipstick, Velvet No. 37.

The only way to explain it, Mariangela said, was that her daughter was a miracle.

For the next six months, Mariangeles endured five rounds of chemo. She lost weight, her skin turned dark, and she threw up almost every day.

“If you can just go to sleep and die, it will stop,” Mariangeles remembered thinking. “That’s why people give up. The pain is indescribable.”

But her mother told her to eat when she didn’t feel like it. Said to hold on when things got hard. Told her to believe God had a mission for her life.

Even when Mariangeles woke to clumps of hair on her pillow — once long and full like the Miss Venezuela contestants she so admired — her mother did not abide sulking. The hair would grow back.

In the meantime, they’d buy dangly earrings, pink caps, and lipstick.

“She was saying: ‘We can make you beautiful without hair,’” Mariangeles said. “Every problem has a solution.”

Mariangeles’ dad had to go back to Venezuela four months into her treatment — to his medical clinic and to Mariangeles’ other siblings. But her mother never left her side.

And just six days before her 14th birthday, Mariangeles was declared cancer free.

“Everything I went through, she was there.”

After treatment, Mariangeles’ mother got a job in Memphis so she stayed in the United States. Mariangeles went back to Venezuela for a year with her dad but came back to St. Jude every three months for check-ups. When she developed a polyp in her nose, her mother decided Mariangeles needed to be close to the hospital, in case anything else went wrong. So, Mariangeles moved to Memphis for good.

She grew her hair out again and didn’t cut it for five years. Long, thick locks tumbled down her back again, just like the Miss Venezuela contestants.

She graduated high school, then college and went on to work in national, big-name firms in business development. She was grateful to St. Jude for saving her life but wanted to put cancer behind her. She didn’t tell people she was a cancer survivor, never brought it up in job interviews or in meet-ups with new friends. She kept that part of her story to herself.

She was reluctant to tell even her now-husband, Matthew Grear, for fear he might pity her.

It wasn’t until 2017 when she joined ALSAC, the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude, as a development specialist that she started to feel comfortable telling her own story.

Long before she spoke publicly, she had been part of St. Jude LIFE, a research study that brings former cancer patients back to campus for regular health screenings.


A gift for mom 

On this Mother’s Day, you can make a donation to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in honor of your dear mother. You can also buy her a gift at the St. Jude store as well, which will also help the children in the hospital.

For donations, you can visit:




Former St. Jude patient Mariangeles poses for photos at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital on Friday, April 12, 2019.




MEMPHIS, TN (LPL) — Con motivo del Día de las Madres, el St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital compartió con La Prensa Latina la historia que podrán leer más adelante. Se trata de una historia que, más que real e inspiradora, muestra cómo el amor de una madre puede ayudar a vencer cualquier obstáculo en la vida, sobre todo si se tiene fe en Dios y esperanza.

A continuación:


“Ella no va a morir”, así lo determinó la madre de una paciente de St. Jude (Por Kristina Goetz)

Han pasado 20 años desde que Mariángeles Grear se curó del cáncer infantil, y fue la voz de su madre la que la ayudó a sobrevivir.

Mariángeles tenía 13 años y yacía en una cama al borde de la muerte en St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Tan cerca de la muerte que cabía la posibilidad de que nunca despertara del coma.

Pero en aquel entonces, no era la leucemia mieloide aguda la que estaba amenazando su vida, sino una infección que los médicos no lograban detectar. Era posible que hubiese llegado al cerebro, concluyeron, y ningún medicamento parecía detenerla.

Mariángela Rubio, madre de Mariángeles, se negó a dejar que su hija se rindiera. “Mi amor, despierta. Regresa a mí”, dijo Mariángela, quien rezaba el rosario y le pedía a Dios y a la Virgen María que curaran a su hija.

La madre de Mariángeles nunca dudó sobre si su hija viviría o no. Ni una sola vez. “Creo en el Señor y en San Judas”, dijo Mariángela. “Todos los problemas tienen solución”.

Como se mencionó anteriormente, este año se cumplen 20 años desde que Mariángeles se curó de la leucemia mieloide aguda (AML), un tipo de cáncer de la sangre y la médula ósea. Y ha sido la voz de su madre –determinante, inquebrantable y protectora– la que la sostuvo y le dio fuerzas durante todos esos años en los que tuvo que batallar con el cáncer e incluso con dos reemplazos de cadera y muchas otras cosas más.

“Mi mamá es mi roca, se ha mantenido a mi lado en todos los momentos de mi vida”, aseveró Mariángeles. “Ella es la razón por la que pude confrontar al cáncer y decir: ‘No te tengo miedo, eres tú quien debería tenerle miedo a mi mamá’. Si crees que vienes por mí, piénsalo dos veces, porque ese labial rojo no te va a dejar”.

Un milagro luego de un diagnóstico letal 

Corría el mes de septiembre del 2000 en Maracaibo, Venezuela, cuando Mariángeles contrajo una misteriosa enfermedad. Sus encías estaban tan hinchadas que los dientes casi ni se le veían. Su cuerpo estaba cubierto de moretones de color morado y amarillo. Y la fiebre era, a veces, tan alta que hasta sus párpados ardían.

Le dolía absolutamente todo el cuerpo, incluso los huesos.

“No tengo poder sobre mi cuerpo”, le dijo a su madre. Era la única manera de describir cómo se sentía.

Incluso el padre de Mariángeles, que era médico, no entendía qué le pasaba a su hija.

Después de muchos estudios, un hematólogo en un hospital privado les dio la devastadora noticia: Mariángeles tenía un cáncer avanzado y necesitaba un trasplante de médula ósea de inmediato. Y eso no era posible en Venezuela.

Sin un trasplante, dijo el médico, podrían quedarle sólo cinco días de vida.

El padre de Mariángeles lloró. Como médico, sabía que su condición era terminal, por lo que se resignó a encontrarle a Mariángeles una habitación cómoda en la clínica para pasar sus últimos días.

Pero la madre de Mariángeles no estaba dispuesta a darse por vencida, y con un tono desafiante, exigió ver los informes médicos.

“¿Quién es usted para decirme que mi hija va a morir dentro de cinco días?”, le dijo al médico. “Ella no va a morir”.

El médico le sugirió a la familia viajar a Italia o Cuba. O quizás, a los Estados Unidos.

Allí había un lugar en Memphis llamado St. Jude. El médico la referiría para ver si podría ser tratada allí.

En cuestión de días, Mariángeles y sus padres llegaron a Memphis, y se encontraron ante la estatua de mármol de San Judas Tadeo a la entrada del hospital. “El patrón de las causas perdidas”, pensó su madre. “Mi amor, en este hospital ya no tendrás más problemas”, le aseguró.

Después de todo, Mariángeles no necesitaba un trasplante de médula ósea, sólo quimioterapia.

Pero los próximos nueve días serían los más difíciles en la vida de su madre.

La quimio que Mariángeles recibió el primer día estaba funcionando, pero la infección de hongos no cedía. Cada vez, más líquido se acumulaba en los pulmones de Mariángeles. Los médicos le indujeron el coma y la conectaron a un respirador artificial.

Mariángela nunca salió de la habitación de su hija.

En medio de la confusión del coma, Mariángeles reconocía el sonido de las puertas automáticas, el equipo protector amarillo que transformaba a las enfermeras en astronautas y la voz siempre presente de su mamá, suplicándole que fuera fuerte, que regresara.

“Cree en San Judas. Cree en el Señor. Cree en ti misma”.

Los médicos les ofrecieron probar con una nueva medicina, y los padres de Mariángeles estuvieron de acuerdo. Funcionó. Pero cuando los médicos comenzaron a sacarla del coma inducido, Mariángeles no despertaba.

Aun así, su madre se negó a darse por vencida. Su hija no iba a morir. Siguió hablando, rezando el rosario y pronunciando el nombre de su hija.

Al noveno día, Mariángeles comenzó a balbucear—de manera casi imperceptible— sobre el tubo que tenía en su boca, llamando a su madre: “¿Mami?”

El primer rostro que vio fue el de su madre, con su cabello negro recogido y el lápiz labial rojo que siempre usaba, Velvet Nº 37.

La única manera de explicarlo, según Mariángela, era que su hija era un milagro.

Durante los próximos seis meses, Mariángeles toleró cinco ciclos de quimio. Perdió peso, su piel se oscureció y vomitó casi todos los días.

Mariángeles recordó que en medio de todo eso solía pensar: “Si al menos pudiera irme a dormir y morir, todo esto terminaría”. “Por eso las personas se dan por vencidas. El dolor es indescriptible”.

Pero su madre le decía que debía comer, aunque no tuviera ganas. Le decía que debía resistir y aferrarse a la vida cuando las cosas se volvieran difíciles. Le insistía en que creyera que Dios tenía una misión para su vida.

Incluso cuando Mariángeles despertó y se encontró con manojos de pelo en su almohada —de ese cabello que solía llevar largo y voluminoso como las concursantes de Miss Venezuela que ella tanto admiraba—, su madre no se inmutó. Su cabello volvería a crecer.

Mientras tanto, comprarían aretes colgantes, gorras de color rosa y lápiz labial.

“Ella me decía: ‘Podemos hacer que luzcas bella aun sin cabello’, comentó Mariángeles. “Todos los problemas tienen solución”.

El padre de Mariángeles tuvo que regresar a Venezuela cuatro meses después de que ella comenzara el tratamiento en St. Jude, para ocuparse de su clínica médica y para estar con los otros hermanos de Mariángeles. Pero su madre nunca se alejó de su lado.

Y a tan sólo seis días antes de cumplir los 14 años, Mariángeles ya estaba libre de cáncer.

Después del tratamiento, la madre de Mariángeles consiguió un empleo en Memphis, así que se quedó a vivir en los Estados Unidos. Mariángeles volvió a Venezuela por un año junto a su padre, pero regresaba a St. Jude cada tres meses para sus chequeos regulares. Cuando le apareció un pólipo en la nariz, su madre decidió que Mariángeles necesitaba estar cerca del hospital, en caso de que algo estuviera mal. Así que Mariángeles se mudó a Memphis definitivamente.

El cabello le volvió a crecer y no se lo cortó por cinco años. Y volvió a lucir mechones gruesos y extensos, al igual que las concursantes de Miss Venezuela.

Se graduó de la escuela secundaria, luego de la universidad y comenzó su carrera laboral en compañías nacionales de renombre dedicadas al desarrollo empresarial. Se sentía sumamente agradecida con St. Jude por haberle salvado la vida, pero deseaba olvidarse del cáncer para siempre. Nunca decía que era una sobreviviente de cáncer, nunca lo mencionaba en sus entrevistas laborales ni en conversaciones con nuevos amigos. Prefería guardarse esa parte de su historia. Tampoco quería contárselo a quien es ahora su esposo, Matthew Grear, por temor a que él sintiera lástima por ella.

No fue sino hasta el 2017, cuando se incorporó a ALSAC –la organización de recaudación de fondos y concientización de St. Jude–, como especialista en desarrollo, que comenzó a sentirse cómoda compartiendo su propia historia.

Mucho antes de que lo hablara públicamente, Mariángeles había sido parte de St. Jude LIFE, un estudio de investigación que trae a expacientes de cáncer de vuelta al campus para exámenes médicos regulares.


Un regalo para mamá 

En este “Día de las Madres”, usted puede hacer un donativo al St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital en honor a su querida mamá. También puede comprarle un regalo en la tienda de St. Jude, que a la vez servirá de ayuda para los niños del hospital.

Para donaciones, puede visitar:



Related Articles

Back to top button