Blast injures 12 in Pakistan’s restive Balochistan province
Islamabad, Nov 2 (EFE).- At least 12 people were wounded as a bomb planted in a motorbike went off in Pakistan’s Kharan locality in the troubled Balochistan province on Tuesday, official said.
“A bomb blast occurred at 12.22 in the day shortly after a vehicle of security forces passed by, injuring 12 people,” Fazal Khan, a police official at the provincial headquarters in Quetta, told EFE.
The official said four critically injured people were taken to Quetta hospital, while the remaining eight were shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital in Kharan.
Police and other security agencies cordoned off the area after the incident happened. No arrests have been made so far.
Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo, in a statement, condemned the attack and said anti-state elements wanted to disturb peace in the province, and they would not be allowed to succeed in their plans.
“Our courage will not be weakened by the cowardly activities of terrorists. The people of the province are standing with security forces to end the chaos caused by terrorism,” he said.
China has pledged to invest over $60 billion in infrastructure projects in the country, focusing on poverty-ridden Balochistan.
The province has for years fought insurgency with the Baloch separatists blaming the central government of exploiting the province’s rich mineral resources.
The insurgents have targeted the military as well as projects involving Chinese investment many times in the past. EFE