Death toll climbs to 6 in Australia bouncy castle tragedy
Sydney, Australia, Dec 19 (EFE).- The Australian police said Sunday that a sixth child died in hospital of injuries sustained an accident after a gust of wind blew a bouncy castle 10 meters (32.8 feet) high in a school on the island of Tasmania last week.
“It is with a heavy heart that I can confirm an 11-year-old boy passed away in hospital this afternoon. His name is Chace Harrison,” Tasmania police commissioner Darren Hine said.
Nine children suffered critical injuries in the accident, of whom six have died, two are in critical condition in hospital, and another is recovering at home.
Hine said the investigation into the tragedy would take some time.
He added that psychological support was being provided to the survivors and affected families.
According to the preliminary investigation, a strong gust of wind blew the castle into the air and the children playing in it fell from a height of about 10 meters.
The accident took place in Hillcrest Primary School, in the northern Tasman city of Devonport on Thursday.
The school was holding a New Year’s Eve party for its students.
Police said around 40 children were playing in the inflatable and bouncy castle when the accident occurred.
Bouncy castle accidents have occurred in other countries such as Spain, where at least four children have died and more than 50 injured in this type of amusement ride in the last 20 years. EFE