Guanajuato, Mexico, Oct 25 (EFE).- An attack by gunmen on a home in the central Mexican state of Guanajuato left a man and his three daughters dead, authorities said Tuesday.
The bloodbath took place in San Francisco del Rincon, a municipality of 130,000 people 20 km (12 mi) from Leon, Mexico’s fourth-largest city.
A 39-year-old man and his three daughters – ages 13, 15 and 17 – were pronounced dead at the scene. The girls’ 37-year-old mother was listed in critical condition at a nearby hospital.
Authorities said they were working to discover the motive.
Guanajuato is sixth among Mexico’s 32 federal jurisdictions in population, yet has led the nation in homicides since 2018 and saw 2,424 murders in the first nine months of this year, 10 percent of the national total.
Authorities in the state say that 90 percent of killings stem from territorial struggles among rival criminal groups for control of drug trafficking and the trade in fuel stolen from pipelines.
Nationwide, murders fell to 33,315 last year after topping 34,000 in 2019 and 2020, the two deadliest years on record in Mexico.