Tehran, Jul 6 (EFE).- Iran’s demands in nuclear negotiations are in line with the 2015 agreement, Iranian foreign minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian said Wednesday.
Abdollahian made his remarks during a joint press conference with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, who is on a visit to Tehran.
The Iranian top diplomat was responding to the United States after it said Tuesday that Iran kept making “extraneous demands” that indicate a lack of seriousness in the talks aiming to salvage the accord between the Islamic Republic and world powers.
He also reiterated that Tehran needs guarantees that a new pact will benefit the Persian country economically.
“The United States must ensure that Iran will benefit from the 2015 nuclear deal,” Abdollahian said, adding that Washington has failed to assure Iran so far.
Al Thani, meanwhile, said that Qatar is supporting the talks so that an agreement can be reached.
Last week, Iran and the US held talks in Qatar under the auspices of the European Union to try and resolve their disputes and revive the nuclear agreement but ended without any breakthrough.
Deal signatories have been trying to find a way to salvage the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), under which the US, Germany, France, the UK, Russia and China agreed to lift international sanctions on Iran in exchange for limits on its nuclear program.
But former US president Donald Trump withdrew his country from the agreement in 2018 and reimposed strict sanctions on Tehran, which in return downsized its commitment to its atomic obligations.EFE