Kane’s PL goal drought ends as Spurs beat Newcastle 3-2

Sports Desk, Oct 17 (EFE).- Harry Kane scored his first Premier League goal of the season Sunday to help Tottenham Hotspur beat Newcastle United 3-2 and move up to fifth place in the table.

While it was a good day for the England captain, who had an assist to go with his goal, the Magpies supporters packed into St. James’ Park for the side’s first game under new ownership were not happy.

After days of talk about Newcastle’s impending return to the elite of English football thanks to the riches of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), now the club’s majority owner, the performance on Sunday was a reminder of how much work lies ahead.

The new non-executive chairman, PIF director Yasir Al-Rumayyan, was in the stands to watch Callum Wilson put the hosts up 1-0 in the 2nd minute with a thunderous header off Javier Manquillo’s cross.

Tanguy Ndombele equalized for Spurs in the 17th minute with an assist from Sergio Reguilon and the visitors went ahead five minutes later on Kane’s goal, which was confirmed after VAR overruled the referee’s initial ruling that the striker was offside.

Play was halted in the 41st minute due to a medical emergency in the stands.

The interruption lasted for about 20 minutes as the Newcastle team doctor stabilized a man who suffered a heart attack before he was loaded onto an ambulance.

Soon after action resumed, Kane got the ball to Heung-min Son in front of the Newcastle goal and the Korean scored to make it 3-1.

Magpies coach Steve Bruce turned to his bench in hope of mounting a comeback, but none of the subs made a positive impact and one of them, Jonjo Shelvey, was on the pitch for barely 20 minutes before he picked up two yellow cards.

Reduced to 10 men, the hosts had a glimmer of hope when Spurs’ Eric Dier inadvertently redirected a Jacob Murphy free kick into his own net, but Newcastle were unable to build on the lucky break. EFE apa/dr

Related Articles

Back to top button