Brussels, Oct 1 (EFE).- Belgium manager Roberto Martinez on Friday denied reports he had been in contact with FC Barcelona to possibly replace an embattled Ronald Koeman.
“There is absolutely nothing,” he told Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws on Friday. “And there has been no contact with Barcelona.”
Martinez has been tipped as one of the favorites to take over from Koeman should the Catalan giants decide to part ways with the Dutch coach, but his contract with the Belgium national team runs until after the 2022 Qatar World Cup.
The Spaniard said he was focused on fulfilling his contract, managing the team as it takes on the Uefa Nations League and World Cup qualifiers, although did not rule out a change in circumstances.
“I want to fulfil my contract (with Belgium), but many things may arise along the way,” he said.
During a press conference several hours later where he officially named the players called up for international duty, he declined to comment on the same rumors linking him to the LaLiga club. EFE