Palestinian killed, 7 injured in West Bank raid
Jerusalem, Feb 13 (EFE).- A Palestinian young man was killed and seven others injured during a military raid conducted by Israeli troops in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian officials reported on Monday, as violence continues to deepen in the region.
The deceased, identified as Ameer al-Bustami, 21, was allegedly shot dead in the early hours of Monday in the northern city of Nablus, the Palestinian health ministry said.
According to the official Palestinian news agency Wafa, al-Bustami was “killed by Israeli gunfire during the raid.”
Israeli forces confirmed their incursion in Nablus, saying its aim was to arrest those suspected of carrying out an armed attack that left one soldier dead in October.
Two suspects were injured and detained after a gunfight broke out when Israeli soldiers arrived at the apartment where the alleged attackers were hiding, a military spokesman said.
Earlier in the day, Israel struck bases belonging to the Islamist group Hamas on the Gaza Strip, to which Palestinian militias responded by firing rockets into Israeli territory. No casualties were reported.
These incidents come amid mounting violence between Israelis and Palestinians.
At least 47 Palestinians, several of them minors, have been killed following military operations, Palestinian-led attacks and clashes with Israeli troops so far this year. On the Israeli side, 10 people have died.EFE