Kabul, Jul 31 (EFE).- After two days of heavy fighting, Afghan officials said Taliban attacks aimed to capture western Herat city were pushed back by pro-government forces after a United Nations office in the province was attacked by “anti-government elements” on Friday.
“The Taliban launched attacks from the east and west and planned to enter Herat city, but security forces and armed civilian groups pushed back the enemy attacks, which suffered heavy casualties,” governor of Herat, Abdul Saboor Qani, said in a video message.
Qani assured the citizens of Herat that the village “is safe and the Taliban cannot enter,” although the atmosphere remains tense.
The Taliban launched a series of attacks from Guzara district, located in northern Herat province, which is under Afghan security forces control.
All the remaining district centers were captured by Taliban earlier this month after security forces retreated to concentrate around the Herat city.
Herat police said around 200 Taliban were either killed or injured in the past two days of fighting.
A United Nations office in the province was attacked by “anti-government elements” on Friday, who killed one Afghan security guard while many officials have been injured, the organization reported.
“The attack targeting entrances of the clearly marked United Nations facility was carried out by Anti-Government Elements” the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said in a statement.
Currently the fighting is in Pul-e-Malan area of Guzara district, which is considered the northern gate of Herat city.
“Security forces are clearing areas around the Pul-e-Malan, but clearance operations are slow due to the presence of Taliban in residential houses” spokesman for Herat governor, Jailani Farhad, told Efe.