Jerusalem, Dec 8 (EFE).- Three Palestinians were killed Thursday during a fresh Israeli military raid in the occupied West Bank, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
In a statement, the ministry said that Atta Shalaby, 46, Tariq Fawzy, 29, and Sudqi Zakarneh, 29, died of Israeli gunshot wounds in the northern city of Jenin, amid one of the deadliest waves of violence in the region.
The Israeli army confirmed it had conducted incursions across the West Bank, adding soldiers responded with live fire when Palestinians hurled explosive devices and opened fire at them.
Three people were arrested in Jenin on suspicion of participating in terror activity, the army said.
According to the Palestinian official news agency Wafa, at least 10 people were injured when Israeli troops opened fire on an ambulance.
In Ramallah, Israeli forces detained two other Palestinians and questioned the relatives of a Palestinian who was shot dead after firing at an Israeli military outpost on Wednesday.
A total of 13 Palestinians were detained during the various raids carried out early on Thursday, the military pointed out.
This year has been the deadliest for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2006.
There have been intense Israeli raids and armed clashes with Palestinians, especially since late March when Israel launched a military operation it calls “Breaking the Wave” in response to a wave of attacks by Palestinians on Israeli soil.
Since then, violence has been on the rise, leaving at least 164 Palestinians dead, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The victims have mostly been militants, but also include children and civilians such as Al Jazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh.
A total of 29 Israelis have also died, including 21 civilians, the Israeli Defense Forces have said. EFE