US ends search for debris of airborne objects in Alaska, Michigan
Los Angeles, US, Feb 17 (EFE).- The United States has called off its search operations for the remains of two unidentified aerial objects shot down as they flew over Alaska and the Great Lakes region earlier this month.
“The search activities have discovered no debris from airborne objects shot down on Feb.10 and 12,” said a joint statement by US Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command.
The statement said the US military, federal agencies, and Canadian partners conducted a “systematic search” near Deadhorn, Alaska, and on Lake Huron.
The US military said they conducted searches using “a variety of capabilities,” involving “airborne imagery and sensors, surface sensors and inspections, and subsurface scans, and did not locate debris.”
The statement said US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin supported the decision to call off the search.
In Deadhorse, Alaska, the northern command worked closely with Alaska National Guard, FBI, and the US Indo-Pacific Command “to position teams to expedite recovered should searches locate debris.”
“Arctic conditions and sea ice instability” led to the decision to end search operations, said the statement.
Similarly, no debris from the object shot down in Lake Huron, Michigan, was found after several days of surface and underwater search operations by the Unified Command Group of the US and Canadian coast guard, the FBI, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The air and maritime security perimeter has been lifted from the two areas.
It has not yet been revealed if the search for debris from the third flying object, shot down in the Canadian region of the Yukon, will also be called off.
The US military said the work to recover the remains of an alleged Chinese spy balloon, shot down on Feb.4 over the waters of the Atlantic, was also concluded. EFE