Seoul, Oct 24 (EFE) – United States Special Envoy for North Korea, Sung Kim, said Sunday he will continue to discuss with South Korea different options for bringing Pyongyang back to the negotiating table, including the possibility of a Seoul-proposed peace treaty.
“We remain ready to meet with the DPRK (North Korea) without preconditions, and we have made clear that the United States harbours no hostile intent towards the DPRK,” Kim said at a press conference after meeting with his South Korean counterpart, Noh Kyu-duk, in Seoul.
“I look forward to continuing to work with special representative Noh to explore different ideas and initiatives, including the ROK’s (South Korea) end-of-war proposal as we continue to pursue our shared objectives on th peninsula,” added Kim, according to Yonhap agency.
The US diplomat said both sides expect Pyongyang to respond positively to the rapprochement proposals.
Noh, his part, said both of them have held “serious” and in-depth talks regarding the proposal to end the war.
Pyongyang has for months rejected Washington’s proposals for unconditional talks to try to revive the denuclearization talks that have stalled since 2019.
Now, South Korean President Moon Jae-in proposing for a peace treaty that will bring an end to the Korean War that ended in 1950-53 with an armistice but was never replaced by a peace treaty.
Kim also reiterated Washington’s willingness to assist North Korea in humanitarian aid, whose economy has been severely affected by the pandemic.
However, he considered the recent launch of a ballistic missile by North Korea as worrying and counterproductive, calling it an act of provocation and in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.
Kim’s trip to Seoul comes after the North Korean regime launched last week a short-range ballistic submarine missile, in what has meant its fifth weapon test in the last five weeks.
Pyongyang defended its right to develop weapons to defend itself, and accused Seoul and Washington of double standards in this regard. EFE